Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring Formal ~ 1920's

The homeschool group that I belong to is have a spring formal, and this year I am on the planning committee we decided that the theme is going to be a 1920's theme. I had suggested that we do the theme on the1800's but no such luck. Anyway, the 1920's  isn't so bad, it was an interesting time and some of my favorite authors are from the 1920's (such as Agatha Christie) When we had decided on that theme, I was thinking how on earth am I going to find a 1920's dress? After the meeting I was looking on the web for some ideas and patterns. I decided that I really don't like the style of most of the dresses (the fashion of 1920's dresses mainly was drop waisted, which is a style I don't prefer) but of all the dress styles I preferred the style of dress which is called a fishtail which looks something like this:

I really couldn't find anything in the way of a pattern under a hundred dollars, but as it turned out I didn't have to make a dress at all! The Saturday after all this my mother was out thrift shopping, and she wasn't even looking for a dress for me (since we had determined that I would have to make the dress.) She found the perfect dress, and it was also a fishtail! It is completely made of silk, and it only cost four dollars! It is truly amazing that even in the small things God is looking out for us.
         Now all I have to think about is the accessories. I am going to try and find some shoes from that style they will hopefully look something like this and won't kill you to dance in 
I also have some ideas as to what I can do for my hair. The style from around that time was a very short bob, not exactly friendly for the girl who has roughly three feet of long brown hair, but I have a couple tricks up my sleeve rather then cut my hair for the dance. As far as other accessories maybe a long string of glass bead or pearls, maybe a feather in my hair who knows? It should be a very fun night.

2 comments:

Imogen said...

The fishtail looks quite elegant. You were lucky to find something in a shope. I wouldn't like to have to make one of those.
By the way, did you change your backgroud? It looks really nice.
Imogen

Unknown said...

Yes, I did change the baackgroud, it's always nice to have a litte change. I'm glad you like it.